Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Low-Sugar, Old-fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies

My first baking adventure.

Yesterday, my boyfriend suggested that I bake low-sugar, low-calorie cookies. I have been working on losing just enough weight for two weddings next year: my future sister-in-law's & my girlfriend's, so it wasn't a bad idea. My mum is also a diabetic, and cookies like these would be great!

On my first try, being the sugar-lover I am, the cookies were much too sugary for my taste. So, this morning, I attempted the recipe again, but this time, cutting the sugar amount in half-- it was successful! Listed below is the improved version of this recipe.


LOW-SUGAR, OLD-FASHIONED PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

Ingredients:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (cup) CRISCO Baking stick, softened (which is 50% less in saturated fat)
- 1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (generic brands are much, much cheaper)
- 1/4 cup SPLENDA Sugar Blend
- 1/4 cup SPLENDA  Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⅓ cups NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Morsels

Because I needed a "sugar free" recipe, I used one from the SPLENDA website.

In a small bowl, I mixed together the flour & baking soda. My pastor's wife suggested that, in baking, for every dry ingredient, sifting is key. I don't have a sifter, so I used a fork. I believe the fork became a good friend during this experience.

In a larger bowl, I beat together (with my friendly fork) the baking stick, peanut butter, SPLENDA sugar blends, vanilla extract, & egg. When it was smooth enough, I threw in the peanut butter, chocolate morsels, then gradually mixing in the flour & baking soda. This is when I turned on the oven to 375 degrees.


After a taste test-- tasting the batter before it goes in the oven-- I was ready to bake. On my reliable baking sheet, which I bought on sale from Sur La Table (honestly, the product companies should be paying me for these blogs), I divided the cookie dough into little round balls & lined the sheet with about 12-15 balls.

The baking sheet went into the oven and, after a good 8-10 minutes, the cookies were done!

The cookies weren't soft, but they were tasty, nonetheless. I don't think I have tried low-sugar, low-calorie cookies that had the same consistency as the legitimate, hearty cookies. Probably different ingredients call for different results. On my next attempt on these cookies, I will try to experiment with the cooking time.

I'm excited to see the cookie tin emptied by the end of the week. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment