Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tangy-Lemon Chicken in Creamy Sauce

This was one of those spur-of-the-moment kind of eats.

I went with my brother's fiancée to a bridal exposition yesterday. Naturally, there were photographers laying out their best albums, companies renting out spiffy tuxedos, and... caterers-- presenting samples of their best entrees.

I came across a small platter of lemon chicken with basmati rice & beans. I don't quite remember what the server named it, but I knew it was something I wanted to have a full plate of-- or something close to it. Right after the expo, I went straight to our fair-sized refrigerator & scoured for lemons.

I found one.


TANGY-LEMON CHICKEN IN CREAMY SAUCE

Ingredients:
For the batter...
- 1 thick, skinless chicken breast (I realized that the chicken is easier to cook, much more tender, and can make two servings, if it is filleted in two to three pieces)
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (just bought a 50-cent bottle from Walmart)

For the sauce...
- 1/4 can of cream of mushroom
- 1/8 cup of lemon juice (use the other half of the lemon)
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth

I created the batter in a mixing bowl, using the ingredients listed above, and entirely covered the slices of chicken with it.

Funny story... I had this recipe in my Recipe Box in Allrecipes.com (yes, I am a fan). I took it out and followed its instructions. Originally, the lemon juice does not belong in the batter at all. In fact, the herbs & paprika were supposed to, simply, powder the chicken. However, I accidentally threw in the lemon juice right after I read: [For the sauce...] "In a mixing bowl, mix together cream of mushroom, chicken broth, & lemon juice." Doh!

I wasn't planning on throwing away this batter, especially since that was the only lemon I had in the fridge. I continued. What was supposed to powder the chicken, now enveloped the chicken in batter.

I threw olive oil & about 1/2 a tsp of minced garlic onto a skillet and let it saute. I ended up frying the chicken with this red-orange, pastel-like batter. We all know how to fry things on a skillet, I hope.

When the chicken was thoroughly cooked, I put the heat under the skillet in low and put together my creamy sauce with the other half of the lemon. I poured it over the chicken & let it settle for a bit.

I cut into the chicken. Mind you, I wasn't hungry, but I wanted to taste this entree. I loved it!
Served over rice, the breading on the chicken was tangy & tasty from the lemon and herbs. The sauce was very creamy & delicious.

A party in my mouth.

My Mum did eat some and my boyfriend did, as well. They said they enjoyed it.
Or, they just praised my efforts so I wouldn't stop making meals for them in the future. Hehe.

Let curiosity sink in. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment